Monday, October 29, 2007

Only Ever Human

It's what we all are; Human. Like it or not, you and everybody around you, is a human being... so why are we so quick to throw empathy to the wind? It seems everybody expects perfection out of everybody else these days, and yet, since they obviously can't achieve perfection themselves, they want sympathy because they're only human.

We've all done it at least once before, it's part of the human condition, as we are all only human. I guess my question, my point, is why has society come to expect perfection of people? Who defines perfection? It's all too easy to ask more of people than you're willing, or able, to give yourself, and that's understandably human as well. I know, I'm talking in circles here, but that's because this is a problem that works in circles. Everybody wants others to go easy on them, but they don't want to have to go easy on others.

Now of course there are exceptions, as there are to every rule, but it seems to have become the norm. The way I see it, we're all perfect in our own right, and we're all inherently flawed. Some flaws, obviously, are big, scary things, but many can easily be shrugged off. I, for example, had a rough past, I got betrayed a number of times, and I admit to having trust issues... yet I seem to catch a lot of flack these days, even from those that know I'm paranoid about trust, because I'm uncomfortable around groups of people and need re-assurance that you're not waiting to drive that knife in my back. I forgive people their flaws, can I not be forgiven mine? Is it unfair for everybody to ask that?

And that is my point ladies, and gents. Society could be one hell of a better place if we'd just learn to accept others for who they are, and not let their little flaws get to us. If you feel you must attack a person for their imperfections then perhaps you should not hang out with them?

-Wraith

No comments: