Monday, October 29, 2007

'Equalism'

I'm willing to bet this has already been started a number of times... but I'm going to take credit for it anyway (as I started it locally). We were discussing Affirmative Action in my law class one day, and the conversation quickly swung to... you guessed it; Feminism.

Now I have absolutely no qualms with being proud of who you are, and if you are, or if you advocate, Feminism for that reason I'm all for it, but I find Feminism sometimes dips into favouritism. That isn't what this article is about mind you, it's simply so you understand where the conversation went. My friend, and a very well respected foe on the field of debate, asked me what my views were on Feminism and I explained them to her, and that's when inspiration struck. That afternoon her and I hashed out, and thus began, 'Equalism'.

As I said there is nothing wrong with being proud of who you are, but why name yourself after what specific part of you makes you proud? Why not simply be proud to be who you are? Proud to be a human being and willing to support other human beings for being what we are. I don't believe that we should offer special treatment to various groups and call it equality. I think everybody should have the same, equal, fair chance at everything, and if you can do it; awesome, if you can't; train harder and maybe you'll pull it off next time.

I think the best way for us to achieve equality is to enforce direct, honest, fair equality. Setting up special programmes to allow others a head start or an easier test is not equality, though it is often put in place with good intentions. I think, in stead, the hiring process should be entirely anonymous up until the interview, at which point it should be conducted by two or three people. That would be a big step toward removing prejudice favouritism without having to practice favouritism to see it done.

So, as an 'Equalist', I believe all people are equal. What sets us apart, making us better or worse, are our skills and our personalities, and nothing else. To call yourself an 'Equalist' is to say that you agree, that all people were born/created equal and should be treated as such.

-Wraith

10 comments:

Lance Johnson said...

...your ideas kick the crap out of mine, Wraith...keep it up.

Unknown said...

PIX Says: WRONG! No one is created equal. You are either better or worse than the person next to you as that person is in relation to the person next to them.

Well... at least that's how things have to be as long as people practice "Individualism". For someone to feel safe and secure, they have to elevate themselves above other people... convince themselves they're better than other people... or allow themselves to believe other people are better than them.

The vast majority of people are so dissatisfied with their lives, they pour so much time and attention in obsessing about people whose lives are perceived "better" than theirs.

Overall, our race thrives from inequality. It's what drives us to push beyond our boundaries... what makes the have nots want to become haves. If everyone was "equal", what would make people push beyond?

Anonymous said...

You've already heard my opinion on this, although I will say keep it up.

Unknown said...

Pix Says... I haven't heard your opinion on this.. SHARE!

Wraith said...

Pix/Vox, you misunderstand. We are *created* equal. The idea behind equalism is that skin colour, gender, sexual preferance, income, religion, and so-on, are irrelevant factors. What makes one person better than another is found in *who* we are, not *what* we are.

-Wraith

Unknown said...

PIX Says: No I don't misunderstand, I'm just disagreeing. At what stage of *creation* are you referring to? Conception? Birth? In whose/what eye are we created equal?

Unknown said...

PIX Says: And if 'who' we are dictates what makes one person better than another, who actually decides that?

Some of the items you mentioned (skin color or nationality, Religion, & sexual preference are aspects of 'self' that can have a significant impact on *who* a person is.

Wraith said...

So then could you tell me, who's better/worse;

A man, a woman, a gay man, a black man, a poor man, a rich woman, an immigrant woman... and so-on... just from *that* tell me who is more capable, who is better who is worse?

I don't think you could, because there's more to who we are. It's a personal choice as to who is better or who is worse, but why should that choice be based on anything other than personality?

Unknown said...

PIX Says: Now you're adding personal capability to the equation. A rich woman is far more capable to assist poor people because she can hire an entire army of immigrant woman to cook them meals, gay men to entertain them, and black/white/whatever men and women to build them houses.

Does that make the rich woman better?

What I'm looking for is your perspective on *creation*. The idealism of equalism seems centered around the whole "created equal" concept. Looking at it from the old-school concept, all 'men' were created equal 'in the eyes of god'. Not that god actually made that statement at any point. More so because a bunch of old white dudes wrote it down that way. But if you bring god into the equation, how long until religion pokes it's evil head?

Your last statement, if the choice between who is better than another should be based on personality, that throws your concept of equalism out the window. That statement reinforces that [for argument's sake, not that i agree] even *if* we're all created equal, once our persona develops, we cease to be equal. Ghandi isn't equal to Tweeker Joe or a 4 star general isn't equal to an animal rights activist. They all started the same by your example, but ended up having greatly varied impacts on the world.

Wraith said...

You fail to see my point though. The *entire* point is. It is the differences that we pick up as we age and mature that make us better or worse people. It's *not* our religion, our gender, out ethnicity, our wealth, and so-on. Upon first meeting anybody I shall call them my equal, and in time that may change, but I will *not* think myself any greater than them, or any less than them, based on anything more than personality.

-Wraith