Friday, November 2, 2007

Computer Support

Whatever happened to the good ol' days of easy, sensical, support. Support from people that actually gave a shit. I have in my possession two broken monitors and one broken surround sound card (which is in my $2400 computer)... I've sent out three support emails, and so far this is my story for them;

TTX Monitor; Got a response, they told me exactly what was wrong, now I just have to find a way to fix it.

ACER Monitor; It seems ACER is using the 'ignore him and he'll go away' method of dealing with my question (Yeah, that's right *question* not complaint). Right now I advise against buying ACER products simply because they obviously care little for their customers.

Asus Motherboard; The number one most rediculous support questionaire I have *ever* encountered. To ask what's wrong with the built in audio/surround sound card I had to tell them; Vendor, Date of Purchase, VGA card information, A slew of different serial numbers, BIOS information, CPU information, and Memory Information... Of the 21 fields I needed to fill out I think maybe 5 were relevant to my problem... Whatever happened to; 'What model is it? What's wrong with it? Okay, I need this, this and this to be able to tell you how to fix it.' Now you have to answer absolutely every possible question in advance! I'm not bad with computers and even I was stumped on half of the information they wanted, and some was rediculous like; 'Motherboard BIOS Revision' (Meaning I have to restart my computer and write it down during boot... thus erasing all the fields I had already filled out) I *just* sent of my email, it will be interesting to see what they have to say *if* they get back to me.

Right now I am *beyond* frustrated... I *just* got done fixing my flash player because of a bizarre one in a million registry error, and now? That's totally irrelevant because what I fixed requires the front left and front right speakers (the only port to die on my surround sound 'card') I can't explain it, I just seem to attract bad karma.

Wishing nobody else out there has to wade through all this crap,
-Wraith

UPDATE

Asus got back to me despite my not being able to answer most of their fields. What they asked me to do is wicked risky to my motherboard though so I'll be bringing it in to a computer store and asking if they'd be willing to follow ASUS' instructions. I'll let everybody know if it works.

-Wraith

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shit. there was me going to blow nigh-on £1000 on an Acer laptop. Knowing my luck (read: I wonder what happens if I do this...), The whole thing will be messed up in a week. To be fair though, most customer support sections seem to be awful. Especially my ISP, BT.

Wraith said...

In my experience Acer makes decent, middle of the road, computers for a cheap price but I'm annoyed that their customer service ignored me. I even went out of my way to make the email happy and cheerful (I figure tech support must get pretty sick of angry emails)

Hope you have luck with the laptop though (either the Acer if ya get it, or another one)... I'm trying to save up and buy one (Half my money goes to saving for University, half for laptop... so far I have exactly $0.00)

-Wraith