Sunday, November 4, 2007

Religion and Me

Is it just me or is every store pushing Christmas already? I was in Costco on October 14ish and they had more Christmas stuff out than Hallowe'en stuff, like, what's up with that? My family is discussing 'homemade gifts' upstairs and it got me to thinking about December (especially because I just got fired for no reason so homemade may be the gift route I'm forced to venture) and thus the various religions out there. Now those of you that know me from STR would probably lean toward calling me a liberal atheist but that's not quite true.

I have been told I'll be packing up and heading to Hell for my religious beliefs, which I can't help but laugh at because, if I'm right, then my 'God' would disagree and I'm a-okay. Which brings me to what I believe, or, more accurately, what I preach. Who amongst us has died? Who amongst us has seen the other side? Who amongst us has passed through the pearly gates? So who can profess to know for sure what lies beyond? I believe, quite simply, that I do not know what will follow death.

It seems to be a deep-seeded Christian belief that one needs religion to have morals, and I disagree. I'm the white-knight type good guy, kind and forgiving to a fault -which sounds arrogant to say but if you ever look me up on msn you'll likely find it true-. So why do I do what I do? Why do I help others? Simple, because it should just be done.

The way I see it?
There's a loving God; My good acts may some day be rewarded.
There is a neutral God; I was a good person on Earth, hopefully it will be reflected after death.
There's an 'Evil Deity'; I want no part of it's paradise anyway.
There is no God; I was a good guy, and may have inspired social change for the better.

We are all immortal anyway, for every decision you make every day effects everybody around you in one way or another. Perhaps your kind deed will influence a million more good deeds over time, and, in some small way, you'll be lived on through those deeds. I may come off as a tad critical of those that follow a set religion and I assure you I'm not. Part of believing in Equalism I suppose, everybody has their own path, and their own reasons, so why should it be my place to call you wrong and question what you do? Do not harm me, and I'll not harm you.

That being said I have had my clashes with organized religion, a friend's churchgroup actually started a debate after I called one of them on his beliefs, though in my defense it was out of self defense. When people try to convert me I see it as an opening to discuss the weight and value of our beliefs, and so I'll openly speak my mind.

Wishing everybody the best, maybe I'll see you all in Hell some day?
-Wraith

3 comments:

Unknown said...

PIX Says: Why not question someone on their beliefs? Attacking and criticizing is an entirely separate ball of wax there.

Questioning, especially from a loving angle, can help someone either solidify their faith or realize that the path they've chosen is no longer best for them.

You're doing a public service... like street sweeping or beating the homeless.

Britt said...

Its funny how christians work. It almost seems wrong how they arrange themselves. The only reason that they are good people is becausr they get punnished if they are not. An athiest who is a good person on the other hand is not expecting to be rewarded or punished so arn't they the ones who should be going to heaven if there is one. Its all very confusing but is doing something food for the wrong reason good or bad? Is doing something only because it benifits you good?

P.S. This is britt from STR
herzeleid895@hotmail.com

Wraith said...

Aye, I agree Britt. It's one thing to follow God and the Bible because you honestly believe in the message of love and forgiveness... it's quite another to follow the Bible simply because you are afraid of going to Hell. Being good simply to dodge punishment isn't really 'faith' if you ask me.

-Wraith